Sunday, February 22, 2015

Still loaded, a less little less hunched. Oh yeah and screw Lululemon.

I took up running last spring but got interrupted over the winter. I started up a couple weeks ago and I realized I had forgotten how addictive it is. So addictive, in fact, that I've decided to run the Cap10k here in Austin. It's in April and it's my first race ever so I thought I would take my running from relaxing hobby to goal-oriented training. Having never played competitive sports, very uncharted.

Point is, my chatter will now include running joys and woes as well.

Woe of the day: Luxury work out gear
I don't think much of high end brands in my day to day life but today I was reminded of how revolting they can be.

Exhibit A: Lululemon
I know there are a lot of athletic brands that sell horribly overpriced goods made by small south asian hands. This, however, deserves mention.

Mala beads, I just learned, are used in Hinduism and Buddhism during prayer and meditation. They remind me of the Rosary used in Catholicism. Lululemon has decided to manufacture these. Fine. They are charging over a hundred dollars for their co-opted version. 



There are obviously many other garments they sell that are stupidly overpriced like 60 dollar tank tops but that's a lot of companies and that's a rant for a different day. It's the need to validate the outlandish price tag on a string of cheap beads with an ancient religious practice that's not even their own.

So like I said earlier, screw Lululemon.


No comments:

Post a Comment