Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Can dudes just calm the F down?

This has always been the case but I have especially been noticing it lately. Whenever I mention to a male that I'm super psyched about training to run the 10k I get almost the same exact response from every single one of them.

"You don't have to train for that. I could run 10 miles right now."

*sigh*

enter agro man.



The human body is resilient, especially for the young. I know that if my life depended on it, I could probably run 20 miles. That. is. not. the. point.

I used to be able to jump right into a game of soccer without stretching. Then, the day came when I realized how incredibly stupid that is. The point is not what you are capable of, the point is what you can do and enjoy yourself and not suffer for it the next day or further on down the road.

I bought this book recently even though I have absolutely no exercise related injuries to speak of. Being 30 now though, it's suddenly very important to me to prevent, at any cost, anything that will enfeeble me. It's a great resource in general but because it's written by an MD it has lots of anecdotes of dumb things runners do. For example, run way too much, too quickly. Usually, of course, they are male.

All I'm saying is that our life expectancy is pretty damn high at this point, do you *cough, men* really want to spend 40 of those years with a shit knee?

No comments:

Post a Comment